Since it first launched in May of 2011, there has been something about the new social networking site “Pinterest” that has attracted hobbyists and businessmen alike. With over 12 million unique visitors every month, it only makes sense that a business would utilize this platform to attract customers. Unfortunately, not all entrepreneurs are “Pinterest” savvy. For those who aren’t, here is a step-by-step Pinterest guide to help get you started.
How to Join
The first step in working on Pinterest is creating an account. Unfortunately, Pinterest is not like Facebook or other social networking websites where you can quickly sign up for an account. Rather, Pinterest is an invite only website. As such, there are only two ways that you can join; you can have a friend who already uses Pinterest invite you or you can request an invite from the Pinterest support team. Here is how:
- Go to https://pinterest.com/landing/
- Enter your email address and click “Request Invitation”
- Wait for an invite to appear in your email
Once your email arrives, you may receive a direct invitation, or you may be put on a waiting list. Here is what to do when your actual invitation arrives:
- Click on the link included within the email
- The link will ask you if you want to connect your account with that of Facebook or Twitter. Choose an option. I personally use Facebook as it’s more picture friendly than Twitter. Your choice may vary.
- Fill in your desired screen name, password, and email address. Whenever possible try to keep your name consistent across the social media network. For example, you can find me as “Magnetic Silvia” anywhere from Facebook, Twitter, through LinkedIn to Pinterest. It’s pretty easy for my clients to remember how to find me, don’t you agree?
Set up your Profile
Once you have created a Pinterest account, your next step is to set up a profile. Here is how:
- In the navigation bar (upper corner), click on your screen name
- On the left hand side of the page, you will see a box that says “edit profile”. Click it.
- Fill out any pertinent information including your name, location, or bio. If you wish, you can also upload your picture, or you can link your account to Twitter or Facebook at this time. I highly recommend using keywords connected to your business. They might help your potential or existing clients to find you and connect with you.
Once you have logged in and created a profile, there are several things you can do on Pinterest. Here is a quick guide to a few of them:
Browsing Boards and Pins
- Head to the Pinteret homepage. Here you will find some of Pinterest’s top pins.
- Move your mouse over an image to find options like “repin”, “like”, or “comment”
- To see a larger picture, picture comments, and number of likes, simply click on the image
Liking and Repinning
When you scan your mouse over a photo, you will see options such as “like” and “repin”. When you choose to “like” a photo, you are simply giving the user your approval of it. When you “repin” an image, you are taking it from their board and posting (or repining) it on your own.
Just as you would with any other social media network, you will want to start finding people on Pinterest as well. This is especially true if you are using Pinterest for marketing or business purposes. If you selected an area of interest when you set up your account, Pinterest will have probably already added some pins for you (don’t worry, if you want to delete them you can). You can also choose to search for your own pins. Begin by searching for individuals who have accounts that include the same areas of interest as you.
The above step-by-step Pinterest guide is just to help get you started on the Pinterest website. There are, of course, many other things that you can do on Pinterest such as upload your own pins, add friends, and create a “pin it” button. To learn more about tasks not mentioned above, head to the Pinterest homepage and click on the “help” option or join us at my Social Media Summer Coaching Program.
Magnetic Look works with small to medium size businesses who are looking to create, improve or leverage their positioning on the internet and increase their profits. Our programs and services are designed to strategically move your business forward, helping you attract and keep all the clients you need in order to run a successful business.
Powered by Facebook Comments